Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #217 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I don't know how one could assume I would get bored of a long piece of music. I really do like the music that I do regardless of length - and actually I just finished listening to a 24 minute long piano sonata by Chopin. It honestly does not get dull for me. If it did, I would have given up on classical music a long time ago. And lots of other music, for that matter.
I am assuming that people get bored of almost *any* activity after a while and want a change, a break, a chance to focus on something else. Therefore, I am assuming that people when listening to music will eventually happen upon a song (or can imagine a song) that is so long that its length becomes one reason they don't like it.

I can understand how you like the music that you do regardless of its length. Can you imagine there being a song, though, that is so long that you'd get tired of listening to it, just like you might start to get bored and feel distaste reading a very long book, or watching a 6-hour movie, or eating an ice cream cone with 20 scoops of ice cream?

It seems in this thread that almost all posters can't imagine getting bored due to the length of a song. Some act as if wisdom's disliking most long songs (over six minutes) is baffling or small-minded. His preference seems to be a completely understandable human reaction to me, given that people often get bored doing one thing for too long and itch to move on to something else.

Mind you, in my view there is nothing wrong with tending to like either long songs or short songs. It is simply interesting to find out the reasons for people's preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I wonder why you started this thread if you really didn't want to acknowledge the fact the other people feel differently. You basically only discussed the whole topic with one person, which makes me think that you could have just taken it to PM and not bothered any of us with it.
Actually, wisdom has replied to many posters in this thread. Ki made the same accusation as you, but it isn't correct.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"