Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #218 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

There are some good heavy metal singers. However, it's strange to me that a list rating them seems to go mostly on power. Longevity, power, decent song-writing (for that genere), etc. might make Dio revered by some - but nobody is going to convince me he's good overall or that I should want to put up with a > 6-minute song from him. By the way, I looked him up for third-party opinions - I've become fairly familiar with him over the past two or three years, mainly spurred by VH1 Classic.

Quote:
Honestly, if you had only accepted that most of us prefer long songs, instead of trying to convince us we were wrong, and given better reasons, more understandable reasons why you don't like long songs, then maybe people might have responded better. As it is, you've alienated a lot of people here with one thread and become a bit of a laughing-stock, which is sad really, but I for one can't give your logic any more credence. It just does not stack up, and just because you want things to be so, doesn't mean they are.
"Most of us" isn't "most of the general public." I didn't realize how atypical this place is until the thread. Or how eager to debate people are. If I'd made a poll with the thread - which I'm not sure is possible - I think more people would have realized it was a simple question, not seeking much more than yes or no and some, er, brief explanations or examples.

Also, I've liked VEGANGELICA's posts more for the "well-thought out points" than just agreeing with me. I often don't feel I have the time to do much thinking, and when I try to write out my thoughts, sometimes it's messy.

Finally, yeah, I don't like prog and would argue that it's overrated, but the truth is I like almost no music from the 70's or earlier and wouldn't want to hear lengthy versions of old songs from other genres. Except I like Manfred Mann's full version of "Blinded by the Night."