Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #220 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
There are some good heavy metal singers. However, it's strange to me that a list rating them seems to go mostly on power. Longevity, power, decent song-writing (for that genere), etc. might make Dio revered by some - but nobody is going to convince me he's good overall or that I should want to put up with a > 6-minute song from him. By the way, I looked him up for third-party opinions - I've become fairly familiar with him over the past two or three years, mainly spurred by VH1 Classic.
Honestly, I despair. What do you think metal is? It's not about people playing pianos and singing quietly. It's about POWER, NOISE and VOLUME. Energy, passion, often anger and yeah, power are all required attributes for a metal singer. If you want restrained, quiet, introspective or gentle singing look in other genres, but don't seek to apply the requisites of those genres to metal. Metal singers have to be powerful, some so much so that you can't make out what they're saying (death vocals), which I personally hate, but realise it's a requirement for that sort of metal. If you judge Dio within the framework of what's considered a heavy metal singer you'll see he is one of the greatest. Compare him of course though to Placido or Springsteen or Dylan and of course he won't measure up: they're different genres. You can't generalise like that, and it's something you're all too fond of doing when it suits your arguement.

Quote:
"Most of us" isn't "most of the general public." I didn't realize how atypical this place is until the thread. Or how eager to debate people are. If I'd made a poll with the thread - which I'm not sure is possible - I think more people would have realized it was a simple question, not seeking much more than yes or no and some, er, brief explanations or examples.
Who did you think was going to reply to a post you made in a forum about music? Lawyers? Bus drivers? Politicians? Some of us may be in those professions, but we're all united by a love of music, so to say we're not the general public is of course right, and also wrong. We're just as much a part of the public as you are, but we all love music so of course you're going to get replies with a music-based slant. It's that other word in the title, before "banter".

And yes, you can post polls, but it wouldn't stop people from debating the question. That's what you do with a question, and that's what we do here. If you just wanted simple yes/no answers with no elaboration on the reasons, you should go for Mister Poll or something. Don't expect though to ask a question here and not be challenged on it.

Quote:
Also, I've liked VEGANGELICA's posts more for the "well-thought out points" than just agreeing with me. I often don't feel I have the time to do much thinking, and when I try to write out my thoughts, sometimes it's messy.
There's your problem, right there. If you don't have time to think out replies don't make a thread, or at worst make it and then back out and leave people to debate it without you. You can't half-do the job.
Quote:
Finally, yeah, I don't like prog and would argue that it's overrated, but the truth is I like almost no music from the 70's or earlier and wouldn't want to hear lengthy versions of old songs from other genres. Except I like Manfred Mann's full version of "Blinded by the Night."
You don't like metal. You don't like prog (how much of it have you heard, I mean, beyond the first two minutes or so?) and you don't like 70s music. What, may I ask, DO you like??