Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #75 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

52. Eels - Beautiful Freak (1996)

I like Eels
Eels are one of those bands , you can`t imagine them being somebodies favourite band of all time , yet you know when you go out & buy an album of theirs you know you`ll be getting some quality songs. I would imagine if most people were putting an Eels album up here they would probably choose Electro Shock Blues. I do like that album but for me it didn`t have the impact of this one. This is one of those albums where you could probably pick any song off it & it would make a great single. Back in 1996 right slap bang in the middle of the Britpop explosion , Eels were one of the very few American bands I had any time for. In fact i`ve always been puzzled as to why they were always more successful in the UK rather than the US.But on the other hand given that America was listening to Bush , Pearl Jam & Hootie & The Blowfish at the time I shouldn`t really be that surprised.

Favourite Songs - Novocaine for the Soul , Susan's House , Your Lucky Day in Hell

51. Wire - Chairs Missing (1978)

Wire are probably one of the most unsung bands of all when it comes to influence on todays music. It`s been said bands like Franz Ferdinand , Kaiser Cheifs , Bloc Party blah blah blah .... owe a huge debt to Gang Of Four , but i`ve always seen more of Wire in their music than them. Even during the whole Britpop thing they were ripped off mercilessly by Elastica , Menswear & many more here today gone tomorrow NME favoured bands. This is probably Wire at their peak , they had the urgency of their debut album Pink Flag , but their songwriting had become much much better.And if you don`t like a Wire song , it doesn`t matter anyway because usually there would be another one along in just over a minute.This album also contains Outdoor Miner , in my opinion one of the best songs ever written. That song is to me is what Teenage Kicks was to John Peel.

Favourite Songs - Practice Makes Perfect , Outdoor Miner , I Am The Fly

50. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump (2000)

I have no idea where or when I first heard of Grandaddy , I just sort of found myself liking them , I don`t remember seeing or hearing them anywhere.It was just a feeling of sort of knowing I like them without actually hearing them. Maybe it`s because they sound like a cross between Mercury Rev & The Flaming Lips, so it was probably destined that i`d like them. Although to be honest I think Grandaddy write better songs than both those bands.I also love the way they take totally random & idiotic song themes & turn them beautiful sounding songs , for example the song Jed The Humanoid is about a forgotten alcoholic android , yet as daft as it sounds it`s a wonderful moving ballad.Odd.

Favourite Songs - He's Simple He's Dumb He's the Pilot , The Crystal Lake , Hewlett's Daughter , Jed The Humanoid

49. Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)

This was the first ever Massive Attack album I ever bought and my God was I impressed with it. I was never into the whole Trip Hop thing. I respected it , but it was a little lightweight for me.I like Blue Lines and could see that it was a genre inspiring album , but it was a bit light & a bit popish for my liking , and to be honest Protection never really did anything for me. But THIS album was a totally different kettle of fish , It was dark , it was brooding , it was funky. I don`t think I would ever get sick of hearing the dub bass on this album that i`ve listened to so loud it rattles your jaw. Angel for me is THE best album opener of all time. I just love the way the bass (Dub of course) starts off quite & builds & builds with the percussion rattling in the background steadily getting louder & louder before the main riff with the duel guitars just comes crashing in. I swear that bit makes me orgasm.

Favourite Songs - Angel , Karma Coma , Inertia Creeps , Black Milk

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote