Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Capz1990
Groupie

Default Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events

Dream Theater's first album following the departure of Mike Portnoy, one of the greatest drummers to ever step behind. I think anybody anticipating this album would expect something that just didn't sound like Dream Theater or just flat out wasn't as good, but i believe anybody who listens to this album will be a little suprised at how good this album is, and how Dream Theater manages to pretty much not a skip a beat despite losing one of it's founding members, it really is a testament to the other members in the band.

There's a good balance between the songs of the album, a mixture between the long, heavy escapades, and the slightly less long, ballad type songs.

Petrucci and Rudess are the guys who really stick out throughout the album. Drummer Mangini doesnt really stick out at any point, but at the same time he doesnt do anything that messes songs up or is unpleasant , overall he does a good job supporting the rest of the band.

The songs that really stuck out to me were
on the backs of angels
build me up break me down
lost not forgotten
outcry
breaking all illusions
beneath the surface

Overall the album is well balanced, it kicks ass at some parts, wows you at some parts, its beautiful at some points, excellent musicanship and it keeps you interested throughout. Dream Theater telling Portnoy WE DONT MISS YOU !

7.5/10
Capz1990 is offline   Reply With Quote