Music Banter - View Single Post - Corky`s Debt To His Father by Mayo Thompson
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Trawling the internet, I found this review of the Corky album, which has stimulated my interest. Unfortunately, I haven`t been able to find the album itself yet. If anyone has a suggestion, it would be much appreciated.
I gotchya, and anyone else who wants the album (I also have a few Red Krayola albums if you're interested in something entirely different from this album.)

I voted excellent for this album. I just love Mayo's voice and the simple yet extraordinarily catchy melodies that carry throughout the whole album. My favourite song on the album is Horses, with its Latin influences and Tex-Mex moments. That's an interesting review that you posted, Lisnaholic, I agree with it, especially where it talks of the tongue-in-cheek moments that poke fun at the music itself while still maintaining a respectful stance on the genre(s).

When I first heard this album (around a year or so ago) I went straight from The Red Krayola's Parable of Arable Land to Corky's Debt. I couldn't stand the album. But then I gave the album a listen for what it was, not as what I can expect from Mayo Thompson as a whole or by expecting a proto-Red Krayola, and it really grew on me. I'd say that it's right up there with The RK's works and this album will always have its place in my library.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote