Music Banter - View Single Post - How can music be depressing?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #50 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapevineFires View Post
Because, "depression" is a disease. It's an actual tragic state of mind.

I find it very difficult to believe that a piece of music someone has never heard before can suddenly lull them into a deep state of mental torture.
People also use words like "manic" and "schizophrenic" to describe music. It doesn't mean the music causes mental illness, it's just a way of describing what the music feels like. Hell, people often describe pop songs as "infectious", but that doesn't mean you're at risk of catching a disease if you listen to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapevineFires View Post
As I said, I find it a lazy way of dismissing music. I know folks that don't like slow, downbeat music. Fine, but when saying why they don't like it, they say "because it's depressing". They don't aoffer a critique of what they don't liek about the piece of music. Just that it falls into this category of depressing. Lazy IMO.
So your problem is really with people who dismiss music for dumb reasons, not with the word "depressing". You could just as easily be upset by people who dismiss music for being "angry" or for being "violent" or whatever else. The irony, of course, is that those people have the same problem you do: they don't understand the difference between subject matter and artistic value.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote