Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:21 PM   #641 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace

Ok, I suppose I will add my two cents.

I'm older than most in this forum, and I have spent, easily, 20 years or better, searching for that 'something' that makes me feel as though I am living my life right. I begrudge no one their religious beliefs, and in my opinion, everyone has a right to be happy and fufilled, on the inside.

That being said, after years of searching, I have finally come to these conclusions:

All religious sects are man-made interpretations of the Bible. I'm not knocking it, simply stating that Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, etc., each have their own belief system, based on that one book. Whether it's good or bad, right or wrong, isn't for anyone to say.

The problem I have with that, though, is, the fear factor of relious beliefs. Each religion basically says, "Here is our way, if you don't live your life within the parameters of this system, you won't get into Heaven." I know most everyone says religion is about faith, but I wonder if people are so wrapped up in keeping their faith strong, that they fail to realize they're actually catering to the fears instilled in them as well. An underlying type of being bullied into living a certain way, or else.

My only other problem with religion, is the severe intolerance. "Your religion is wrong, and you're going to burn in Hell." I don't know what gives one person the right to tell another they're living their life wrong.

I will never dump on anyone because their faith, whatever it may be. All any person who follows a certain religion is doing is, ultimately, trying to be a better person, and there's nothing wrong with that. They want peace. Peace in their life, and peace in their heart.

Are there people who use religion corruptly? Absolutely. Religion, politics, heck, the local grocery chain, all have people who abuse their position. If you worry about that, you'll never attain your inner peace, because you will be letting others' actions taint your quest.

Now, getting to the gist of it, I have, in the last three years or so, found a modicum of peace through the Buddhist way of life. I am not a Buddhist, but I do believe a lot of what they say. Their belief is your soul is eternal, moving from one living being, to another, for all eternity. Now, I don't know if I so much believe that, but I do believe in Karma. The circle of life. If you are good, in your heart, and treat others with respect, and are tolerant, and respect others' choices, even if you don't necessarily believe then yourself, you will receive the same in return.

What I find most appealing about Buddhism, is the fact that they don't say "live like this". Their way is,"Here are the tools you need for inner peace. Find your path." They give you some ways of thinking, and what you do with it is your own choice.

Anyway, I have rambled long enough.