Music Banter - View Single Post - Quick thought on eternity
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I've often thought about the logical assumption that "something cannot come from nothing", and in the context of what you said about humans thinking in linear terms, I can't help but wonder if that assumption isn't misguided in some sense.
Let me explain...
We think of as a state of "nothingness" as a state where no physical property exists. That may be more than an intuitive assumption, based on our own definition of the concept, but the concept itself relies on a logical assumption that nothingness itself is a default state in the beginning of a linear progression into "something". Because our logic is rooted in linearity in many ways, it's hard to not assume that first there was nothing, and then there was something.

But, what if that thinking is incorrect? What if there is no natural state of nothingness wherein a state of physical property has somehow occupied? What if the natural state of existence is, by default, a physical property which contains and allows for the potential of change to occur? What if there is no such thing as nothing?

To me, that would mean that at the very basic, fundamental level of "existence" there could be some property outside of the universe that doesn't simply accommodate the presence of physical properties as a vessel, but is, in essence, the very fabric by which those properties originate.
And when I say "change", I refer to a process, perhaps continuous in its state, whereby things like the Big Bang occur simply due to the nature of the way this fundamental state behaves.

Simply put, would it be unreasonable to suggest that something never came from nothing, because our universe is just born of a system that has properties and naturally occurs, and matter is just simply an eventuality?

I know it seems like a lazy assumption by scientific standards, and hardly quantifiable, but as a mere thought experiment where the results are produced from imagination (Dangerously close to religion, I know), would I be assuming the earth is flat, or round (in a manner of speaking)?
Good point. It's one of those things that makes my head spin because linear thought patterns are not just a habit, they are instinctual. I've been tossing around ideas about math from ancient civilizations recently.... While the concept of zero (or nothingness) is what sparked incredible advances, many societies did not think of it. I wonder sometimes if that is why we have such a hard time letting go of these ideas... We were all raised with the existence of nothing being hammered into our heads.

I'm not sure I even addressed what you were talking about, but it got my head going.