Music Banter - View Single Post - The Classical Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #119 (permalink)
gunnels
gun whales

Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I'm looking for classical music which is solely piano. I like the dark and emotion types but don't know what artists do this, I've only listened to it on the classical radio station. Any suggestions?
I find Chopin fits this role to a tee.

The main theme is almost maddeningly narrow and the lack of real resolution just leaves it so haunting. The middle section is a fiery burst of teary confusion, and then returns a harrowing yet calming recapitulation. Mmm, so much fun to play.
The nocturnes in general fit your query, I'd recommend Vladimir Ashkenazy's interpretations. Op. 48 No. 1 in C Minor is my other favorite, but I won't flood this post with Chopin vids.
Some of the etudes also fit the bill, and are a bit more ballsy in general.

For something a bit more visceral, there's Prokofiev.

One of the Youtube comments stated that this piece is on the devil's iPod. I concur.

For something more ambient and reflective, go for Debussy.

His style, impressionism, often bases music on scenes in nature; this famous piece reflects moonlight on the water. Very melancholy, very serene.

...and of course there's my favorite Beethoven, but you stated in another thread that you've really been digging him so I'll refrain from posting a dozen sonatas.
EDIT: Yup, that Beethoven BD posted is my favorite (so much fun to play), and the Appassionata is also appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline   Reply With Quote