Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #17961 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I'm going to round-up the last 10 albums I downloaded (and listened to), and make Jansz proud.

Big Black - Atomizer: great album. I've been laying into the noise rock lately and this album's got a great industrial spin on it. Like a cross between Factrix's Scheintot and Flipper's Generic Flipper. Better than either though.

Windy & Carl - The Dream House/Dedications to Flea: Only listened to the Dream House half of this and it's a pleasant but unremarkable drone album. Still have Dedications to Flea to do before I decide on a RYM rating.

Hanne Hukkelberg - Featherbrain: Bit hit and miss art pop album recommended to me by Goofle. Think Regina Spektor crossed with Susanne Sunfor flirting with Cocteau Twins. Highlights include My Devils, the title track, and You Gonna, but the rest is a bit too Regina Spektor to hold my interest.

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave: Soulful art pop album I would call somewhere in the realm of The Antlers, James Blake, and Radiohead. Could theoretically see how this album would annoy the **** out of someone, but I'm really happy with it. Will probably make my top 10.

I Break Horses - Hearts: Competent shoegaze/dream pop album. Just when I was really starting to get bored with the genre's sea of similar albums, stumble across this little gooder. Something like M83 and Beach House. Solid.

The Good Life - Album of the Year: Meh. Tim Kasher should stick to Cursive.

Hoedh - Hymnvs: Borderline tacky dark-ambient album. Not really remarkable. I'm not really in to throaty choirs of men who sound like they should be wearing robes and performing human sacrifices.

The Beat - The Beat: Patchy like I find most power-pop albums, though the last track has a hell of a hook. Dances between being excellent and forgettable, and for that I've given it a 2.5/5.

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now: I just don't get this guy. This is the least annoying of his three releases, but somehow it's less charming for it.

Metric - Live it Out: I think Metric's best album, which is still just run-of-the-mill-indie-rock. Still, I think they're better with guitars than synths, and I am kinda fond of Emily Haines' voice.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote