Music Banter - View Single Post - Short Songs you love (< 3 minutes long)
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your favorite short songs!

So far our combined favorite short songs are these:

"The Wind" by Yusuf Islam
Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude by Bach
"I Will (No man's Land)" by Radiohead
"Horizons" by Genesis -- Yes, instrumental short songs are perfect, Trollheart. I liked this lovely guitar solo very much.
"Drive-In Show" by Eddie Cochran
"Away Goodbye" by Change of Heart -- starting at 10:04 in their Tummysuckle album
"Vegetables - by The Beach Boys
"Whatever Happened to Pong" and "Thalassocracy" by Frank Black
"Debaser" by the Pixies -- I learned that Frank Black was their frontman. I thought the voice sounded similar!
"It's So Easy" - a peppy punk song by Jay Reatard
"While My Heart is Still Beating" by Roxy Music -- actually 3:27 minutes long, but that is still quite short.
"Mbanda Na Ngai" by Franco & L'O.K. Jazz
"October" by U2 -- a song that was preferred by two members.
"Eye in the Sky" and "Pyramania" by the Alan Parsons Project
"Black is Black" by Los Bravos
"Short Songs" by Dead Kennedys -- this song is definitely short!
"A Well-Respected Man" by The Kinks
Forty tiny songs by The Gerogerigegege -- I first heard about these songs due to MusicBanter last year. I'm guessing the other 40 songs on the compilation sound almost exactly the same!
"Memories of Tomorrow" by Suicidal Tendencies
"Your Mind is On Vacation" by Mose Allison Trio
and
"No Man's Land" -- but I see several songs by this name, so I'm not sure which one you meant, Sumonchy.

I especially liked Thom Yorke's selection, which I had never heard before today:

"Thalassocracy" by Frank Black
This song struck me as quirky, energetic, and pretty at the same time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
It`s good to see that you`re posting again, VEGANGELICA. I missed you !
Though I`m not a big fan of Chopin, I had to admire the way Ashkenazy`s right hand is working that keyboard in your first clip. [...]

Here Brian Wilson takes a deliberately undramatic topic and then packs the song with charming details:-
- the low-register pipes at 0:13
- the BB`s singing tab-e vege vege at 0:48
- that under-used percussive instrument, celery, coming in at 0:53
- the background chomp chomp chomp vocal at 1:23
- the beautiful 20-second adagio at 1:31
- and then the resounding, full-on Beach Boys fade out, which is also a mere 20 seconds long.
So we have an endearing, off-beat comment about love, diet and shopping and a song that glitters like a piece of jewelry with exquisite little gems of sound.
Thank you for welcoming me back and for sharing the kind thought, Lisnaholic.

"Vegetables" by The Beach Boys is definitely a unique, crunchy vegetable piece, and celery *is* an under-used percussive instrument! I enjoyed hearing all the notable timepoints you mentioned in the song. I also liked your description of the song as glittering "like a piece of jewelry with exquisite little gems of sound." Poetry!

And yes, I agree that Ashkenazy's right hand is admirably dexterous in the way it works that keyboard in my favorite Chopin etude. Even though you don't care for Chopin, it was nice of you to appreciate the skill involved. Maybe that etude is so short to prevent hand strain!

The following very short song is one of my favorite songs of all time because of its peaceful sweetness and simplicity:

Bach - Prelude No. 1 in C Major
Hélène Grimaud - Piano

Most Bach pieces do not stir my emotions and instead feel very mechanical, but this song moves me.

Hélène Grimaud - Prelude in C Major - Bach - WTC Book 1 - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 08-26-2012 at 10:34 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote