Music Banter - View Single Post - UFO (the band)
Thread: UFO (the band)
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
Not sure I agree with them having lost their spark when Schenker left, they did some great stuff with Paul Chapman. This is the first UFO song I ever heard, and also has him on guitar.

The rumour I heard for Michael Schenker leaving was that Pete Way smacked a snooker cue over his head
Paul Chapman came in from Lone Star and was a good replacement, though he could never fill the boots of Schenker. The big problem for UFO were outside influences which came in the shape of the NWOBHM. When a new sub-genre pops up it normally does two things, Firstly it can revitalize the fortunes of bands that helped inspire it and in this case bands like Judas Priest and the Scorpions shot to to even bigger heights (as you know they were well known bands before, but just got even bigger) or on the other hand influential bands can become irrelevant and UFO along with the likes of Budgie fell into this category. UFO really failed to capitalize on the NWOBHM and their first album without Schenker No Place to Run felt really flat and bland, in fact the song you posted was the best thing on the album. They improved considerably with The Wild, The Willing and The Innocent and I listened to that album recently and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Of all the later stuff I really need to update myself on it again. But I would say with conviction that the departure of Schenker and especially the NWOBHM was the death knoll for the band,
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote