Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone explain the differences between AOR and Melodic Metal to me?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Last May. Well, May 2011. Back issues available here
Music Magazine Subscriptions | My Favourite Magazines

Edit: looks like it only goes back to issue 3, and that Toto one is issue 2 (Issue one was Journey). If you can't get it and really want it I can scan it for you. Might take a while but, let me know.
Cheers will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't know about Melodic Metal but found a list provided by spirit-of-metal.com. Jaded Heart is considered Hard Rock by by the site, and the band is from Germany - which is the hub of Melodic Metal, right? Or is Germany the hub Melodic Heavy Metal? I check out Paid My Dues by JH. The song started with Styx-esque harmonies. It sounds closer to Hard Rock of the 70s, I guess Melodic Metal would have more Metal influence to it.

It been long establish that AOR stands for "Album Oriented Rock."
It dates back to the 70s as a radio format for FM stations that played Rock music. It was called album-orietned because the format of the radio stations to play album tracks, instead of singles that Top 40 stations played. It had nothing to do with the age of the listener the music was aimed at, that would be Adult Contemporary music.
Germany is very much the hub of European power metal which by nature is very melodic. Outside of the UK, Germany is the country with the most tradition of metal in Europe, since the 1990s that position has been challenged by Sweden.

Album Orientated Rock is the most correct label, as most AOR bands (the good ones) usually had album tracks just as good as the singles and at times even better, they would often get played on the radio, far more in the USA though than here in the UK.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote