Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #1261 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Interesting fact: I've never listened to a Grateful Dead record.
Let me say that their Late 60's albums (Anthem of the Sun...) had their moments. There were reasons why a lot of people followed them. After Workingman's Dead, they turned a little too soft for my listening. There may be some appeal in thsie laid back sounds, and the musicianship is seriously great (Mickey Hart is a great Drummer and Jerry knew his Guitar), but it may be the opposite of what I like to follow. Nice stuff, although their 80's was really missing a lot. Maybe I expected too much or it's not too much my scene. Psych-wise they were good, though. Maybe it hits the nice middle ground (which makes it not my scene) that it connects to a lot of people.

Once again, I will say that the musicianship is stellar, but it's not my cup of Music either. Still I know I'm certainly out-numbered in my opinion. (Don't worry, fans. Although I did place them in company with a band I really don't care for, I hope you and I are in total agreement with on the subject on Nickelback).

As I said, I should revise that trio, but if I did I might say Phish instead of The Dead for at least the GDead's 60's albums had more flavor to them, although I have heard WAY less Phish to merit a mantion anywhere.

EDIT: Intereting fact. The Music Machine's Keith Olsen (who's leader was Sean Bonniwell, mentioned in my Under-Rated) broke through with his great AOR based Production career with Producing Workingman's Dead.

One more PS: The Warlocks were great! Just Like Bob Seger's Garage days, one's missing out on some fine music if you skip it on the better-known stuff alone.

Last edited by Screen13; 08-28-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote