Music Banter - View Single Post - skyrim
Thread: skyrim
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #426 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyrada View Post
If you're gonna roleplay in this game, you're more likely than not just going to end up as a chronic backstabber since it takes so much willpower to reject quests purely on a basis of character when that "kill things with a vengeance" carrot is being dangled in front of you.

Just as a matter of principle, actively trying not to screw over people you've quested for in faction questlines means outright ignoring a lot of other groups. My Khajiit did the civil war story on the side of the Imperials, and now she's joining up with the Thieves' Guild, even though it's not exactly compatible with the somewhat over-righteous white knight tendencies that seem to be implied as coming along with being an Imperial supporter.

Although, I suppose it does make sense for a Khajiit to go against the Stormcloaks considering their race issues. I've been considering the implications of having my Khajiit partake in stealth/thief-based quests, though, purely in terms of racial stereotyping. Still debating whether that concern should be enough to keep her from doing Thieves' Guild quests.
Basically the way I got around there being some odd disjointed character developments with my Khajiit was by actually incorporating them into his character arc. He started out as a wide-eyed youngster, coming to Skyrim to make a name for himself. While he certainly sided with the Stormcloaks after Helgen, he still felt that he would not be looked upon as an equal if he joined their ranks, so instead he sought out The Companions. Despite becoming a leader of the Companions, he still received no respect from many of the Nords, especially in the Stormcloak controlled cities. He got tired of being called a sneak thief, despite the fact that he had never stolen or pickpocketed a single object. Finally it just started to become too much for him, he was a leader of the Companions, he had killed a dragon and become Thane of Whiterun, why was he not getting any respect?

When Brynjolf came to him and asked for help, he decided why not? Why not conform to the pre-conceived notions these simpletons have decided for him. Let them gawke and accuse, he'll take it, and then rob them blind, or better yet continue to create a sense of wholesomeness as he helps people out and let them think he's some great hero, while after the sun goes down he skulks around at night stealing, killing, and drinking the blood of Jarl's (he's a vampire right now).

When the time comes and he decides to actually get involved in the Civil War he's totally going with the Imperial's, not out of any great love or loyalty to the empire, but because he senses that if the Stormcloaks win they will turn Skyrim into a Nord-only province, which will put a huge dent in his plans to secretly be running the show behind the scenes.

That's pretty much how I've justified my character's somewhat erratic change in personality after about the 40 hour mark.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote