Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #1316 (permalink)
Duraddict
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You seriously believe that? Have your ears checked, man, really! Those are some of Bruce's better albums --- some of the best albums in rock, I'd venture to say --- and his voice only got better with age. Even on "Asbury Park" he was miles above most other singers, a real emerging talent. You might as well say Bono sang crap on "The Joshua Tree" or that Waters sounded horrible on "Dark side"! Wise up: that comment is just totally baseless. I just can't understand where you're coming from there, and I will fight to backup my belief --- hell with it, the fact --- that Bruce's voice is in its finest form on BTR and everything after.

And again I ask in incredulity: Nebraska!? You hear nothing good on this album in his voice? The guy is ACOUSTIC for god's sake, on one track almost acapella, and you're trying to say he couldn't sing? 2004? What's 2004 got to do with anything? He didn't release any albums that year; "Devils and dust" was 2005, and I consider that a so-so album but there's no change in his voice from that to "The Rising" and back.

Come on, you can tell me: you're joking, right? Is it April 1st?

Yeah well, with a comment like the above on Springsteen, you're not so far from that yourself.
Just how I feel. Don't take it so seriously. I still very much enjoy listening to his earlier work, but I don't like his vocals. He's better in a lower register. Factory stands out to me as one of his better vocal performances from the early days. She's the One as well. But he strains on most of his songs. I definitely prefer his more matured vocals on Magic and Wrecking Ball.

How that makes me a brat, I'm not sure. My reaction to Pedestrian was based on his notion that people who don't like Radiohead don't know anything about music.

Despite the fact that I like Springsteen... own all of his albums... listen to them regularly... have paid a lot of money to see him live in concert repeatedly... that means nothing. Because I don't like his vocals on his earlier records, that makes a brat? That's a bunch of crap, and you know it.