Music Banter - View Single Post - good jazz???
Thread: good jazz???
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

The classics already mentioned are great like Coltrane, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk etc. To those I could add that I quite like Oscar Peterson who was a brilliant piano player and that I these days also often like to listen to collaborations by Bill Evans (piano) and Chet Baker (trumpet) who together play some deliciously mellow takes on old classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I will say that I think most jazz fusion from the 70's and 80's is crap. Except for Weather Report and anything else that Jaco Pastorius did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
Not liking most 70's Jazz fusion is a good start. ^_^
What's with the fusion hate?

I love many flavours of 70s fusion rock, finding it exhilarating, beautiful and often challenging - in a good way of course. My favorite 70s fusion group may be Return to Forever. The band was at its best, I think, when its lineup consisted of Al Di Meola on guitar, Stanley Clarke on bass, Lenny White on drums and, of course, Chick Corea on keyboards. Here's an example song :

Gorgeous!

I also quite like a bit of gypsy jazz. My current favorite then is dutch guitar virtuoso Jimmy Rosenberg who is a guitar genius. Here's one of his more mellow tunes.