Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #8485 (permalink)
Blarobbarg
Do good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post

just bloody hits the spot at the moment

like good sake after a terrific saba shioyaki
Listening to that at this very moment, it's quite good.

And speaking of Melvins, I've been listening to them quite a bit lately, along with a whole lot of other sludge metal.

Melvins, Bullhead. What could I possibly say that hasn't been said? I'm sure everyone here knows Melvins. Colossal, powerful, operatic, howling, terrifying sludge metal before the genre truly existed. Hell, the landmark sludge band Boris took their name from the opening track of this album. This is one of those must-listen metal albums.

Melvins, Nude With Boots. Quite different from Bullhead, which is to be expected since it came out seventeen years after that album. Nude is faster than Bullhead, with songs usually playing out like mid-tempo stomps instead of molasses-like dirges. The band mixes in some acoustic elements and influences from other, less metal genres, but the album is still wonderful.

And on the not-Melvins side of things...

Zu, Carboniferous. Anyone that knows me around here knows that I love free jazz. You can probably also tell that I enjoy sludge metal. This is a combination of both genres. Zu is a jazz trio (in a sense) of baritone saxophone, electric bass, and drums... but it goes so much farther than a jazz trio. It's more abrasive than a lot of death metal I've heard, more creative than much new jazz, and catches my ear like sugar catches flies. Great, great, great album.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote