Music Banter - View Single Post - My music renaissance
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
bloodsugarsexmagik
Groupie

Default My music renaissance

My music renaissance

So, lately I've been thinking. Its been a long time since I've really got back into my music. Its been about two years since I stopped hosting my own radio show, and taken on a more behind the scenes roll at the station.

I've focused on educating myself more, amateur sport (ice hockey if you were wondering) and furthering my work career. So music has understandably taken a bit of a back seat. I still get to gigs, (not as much). But what’s been really getting to me is the lack of time I’m actually sitting back on a Sunday and playing album after album. It seems the only time I’m really getting into what I own is when I’m at the gym or on the bikes. So I’ve decided to go back through my collection, and fill in some holes with some depth, by purchasing a bit more to further my education. I’ve chosen a few (about 20-25) albums that I’ve purchased of the past 4 years that I think will get me back where I want to be.

That being said, I feel as if I haven’t backdated or appreciated the older music which was before my time, So that’s where you guys come in. I want to know what albums I should add to this list, what albums you think are a must for me to get into. But let me start.
PS I’ll try give you guys a bit of a background on my musical education to help you form your oppinions.( ALSO, If you haven’t heard of some of these bands, I would sincerely suggest giving them a spin! I didn’t choose them lightly)

Korn – self Titled.
This Is where my appreciation for music began, I was probably about 8-9 when my neighbour introduced me to this absolutely brutal album, which really taught me that there was a world outside the Sunday edition of Video Hits.

Led Zepplin –ST

Led Zepplin – House of the Holy

Rhythm and Blues is fairly new to me, I just started hitting up the old mans’ music collection and currently am wrapped with what I’ve found.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Blood Sugar Sex Magic
The Wombats - A Guide To love, Loss and Loyalty
For those who don’t know, the wombats are a modern day British pop group who personally for me are the benchmark of any self respecting pop rock band, With 80’s and indy influence, its just a well put together album, which you just don’t get in pop….ever.
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros – Here
I don’t really know how to describe these guys, but If you want some stark contrast to ANYTHING, hit.it.up.

Nirvana – Nevermind.
Self explanatory…

Gypsy and the Cat – Gilgamesh
Australian electronic, Got a lot of feel.
Rage against the machine – self titled
Hilltop Hoods – The calling

Hilltop Hoods- The Hard Road Restrun

Hilltop Hoods – State Of The Art

Australian Hip-Hop, ain’t what you’re thinking, for someone who despised over produced Hip-Hop, “R&B” especially when I found these guys, its not what you’re thinking I credit these guys for getting me out of that teenage metal-or-nothing funk.
COG – Sharing space
(Australian Prog Metal)
Bon Iver – For emma, forever ago.
Chill.

Radio Head – Best of.

Metalica – Master of Puppets

Van Halen – Best of
Ragin’ instrumentals? Yuhuh.
Boy and Bear – Moonfire.

As you can see it’s a real eclectic mix. Please help me extend it!
bloodsugarsexmagik is offline   Reply With Quote