Music Banter - View Single Post - Anyone Else Dislike Most Long Songs?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #310 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
Anyway, c'mon, there was a thread about listening while high. A few people here should be brave and admit they enjoy long songs more when under the influence. I almost guarantee that extended music listening (total time, not song time) is associated with more substance use than is occasional listening.
I'm not sure about a relationship between total music listening time and drug use (except it sounds as if LSD increases people's patience for listening to music), but it does appear that listening to long songs was historically associated with drug use at least within the psychedelic rock genre.

According to an article about The Grateful Dead:

Quote:
From: How Psychedelic Drugs Shaped the Music of the '60s - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

They [The Grateful Dead] set out to recreate the aspects of their live performance in their albums, and became widely known for music that was notoriously drawn out and clearly influenced by acid use. One example, "Dark Star," is a twenty-four minute acid-rock masterpiece, which is a far step away from the standardized three to five minute song format utilized by most musicians. Since the Grateful Dead was surrounded almost entirely by people using psychedelic drugs while touring, this is reflected in the music that they created; therefore, some of their material from the sixties is rather difficult to listen to when not under the influence (Brown)." Reference: Brown, G. "Turned-on, tuned-in and dropped-out sounds." The Denver Post 6 Apr. 2003: F-06)
Another source says, "Most psychedelic music shares similar musical characteristics: long songs, electric guitar freakouts, hallucinatory lyrics, and terrible cover art." Narcotica: Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To « The Bygone Bureau

So this suggests that people who aren't using psychedelic drugs may be less likely than drug-users to enjoy long psychedelic rock songs. Now I know why I don't like "electric guitar freakouts," most hallucinatory lyrics, and all music I've heard by The Grateful Dead!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.