Music Banter - View Single Post - Doctor, Doctor!
Thread: Doctor, Doctor!
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

I went to the doctor last Wednesday for a check-up and I had to give blood (from the usual spot at the crevice of the elbow). It has always been an issue for any doctor to find the vein in my arm, and they almost always have to try both arms and jab away at both of them before they find it.

Anyways, I didn't have to wait long for this one; right when the needle went in I felt a very intense burning pain run right up my forearm to my wrist, and it went numb. I told him about it immediately, so he stopped and I didn't end up giving any blood after all. The initial pain lasted a while, and only subsided partially when I was still in the doctor's office. He said the pain and numbness would die down soon. The numbness subsided somewhat within the next few hours, but the pain stayed. It isn't as intense as it was when the needle went in, but if I extend my arm or hold it in a certain way, I feel the same shooting pains going up my forearm. My forearm also itches at times but there doesn't seem to be any swelling (if there is, it is a very small amount), and there is no visible sign that anything is wrong (no cuts, redness, or bruises).

Looking it up on the internet, I'm 99% sure it was nerve damage, but I'm probably going to go in to a clinic to see what can be done, along with seeing how severe it is. The needle was taken in my right arm (my writing arm, along with my strong arm in general), so it's going to be pretty annoying while the pain and irritation lasts (which could be up to 8 months if the stuff I've read on the internet is true).

I already dreaded giving blood because of the hassle I go through every time for them to find my vein, so it'll be interesting to see how much of a pussy I'll act like when they give me a needle the next time.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote