Music Banter - View Single Post - Would you help please?..
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Don't you understand what Mr Dave is saying? If you have no faith in your own singing ability, what makes you think you can sing? I know I can't: couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. I would, therefore, never record or upload anything for people to hear, because I know I'm crap.

He's right in that anyone can be taught to sing (not sure if that means sing well) --- the bloody X Factor has shown us this --- but I think you need to have some inherent ability first. There has to be a seed: a flower don't grow from nothing. Not everyone CAN sing: I can't, and I'm fine with that. Maybe you can't. Taking singing lessons an answer? Well, if the coach is anyway upfront he or she will let you know very quickly if there's anything there, as I'm sure they don't want to waste their time on what they might see as a lost cause. So unless they're crooked and just trying to rip you off, I wouldn't worry about sinking loads of money into training.

BUT (and here it comes) if you are going to ask people to listen to and judge your singing, surely you would make the best effort possible, for your talent (or lack of) to be seen in the best light? Get half-decent recording equipment, READ the lyrics, listen to the song, know it inside out so you can sing it properly and THEN ask for opinions?

May I ask, have you asked any friends/family/colleagues for their opinion, and if so, what did they think? Of course, you can't always be guided by that, as people you know may not want to hurt your feelings. But as Dave says, you're asking people to listen to something you describe as "crap", whcih is hardly likely to encourage them to do so.

I'm not sure where the "become a star" bit came in, as I don't think you mentioned looking for a career in music? But it naturally follows that there are in all likelihood some of the best singing talent undiscovered sweeping the streets, recording alone in bedsits and so on: only the very lucky few get to be famous and make a career in music, so of course the odds are stacked against you even if you CAN sing. If you can't, well, you see where this is going.

Might I ask why you think you CAN sing? I haven't listened to it, but if you think you may be tone-deaf, why would you think singing would be a career option for you? Just wondering: it's like being unable to draw a stick man and yet thinking you could be an artist.