Music Banter - View Single Post - Short Songs you love (< 3 minutes long)
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #67 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
and more from me as well:
Thanks for more, Mrd00d. Rap isn't a genre I usually listen to, so Hieroglyphics' songs and the one by A Plus were the perfect length for me.

I especially like A Plus' "Road Trippin'" with the acoustic guitar and combination of rap and singing. Having "snacks and supplies" is a good thing. That's a catchy little song.

I also like the "Road Trippin'" video. It reminds me of how, when driving on the highway and looking at all the other people in their cars, I often wonder what their stories are, where they are going, who they love. So many stories and lives out there!! I wonder how many of the cars I've seen on the highway contained rap singers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llllllllllllllllllll View Post

I ONLY LISTEN TO THE MOUNTAIN GOATS
Thank you, ||||||||||||||||||||, for adding the Mountain Goats' "Going to Georgia." I like how their song sounds both relaxed and driven. The lyrics are evocative, especially the first lines, which I like very much: "The most remarkable thing about coming home to you is the feeling of being in motion again. It's the most extraordinary thing in the world." <-- That's a wonderful feeling when one feels it due to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
As for me, I don't think I ever want another ring again (twisty-tie or otherwise!) -- I'm sort of overwhelmed as it stands! But thank you for saying I would "deserve" one. The Beatles composed many great short songs and thanks for posting those three. Btw, those opening lines of "Julia" paraphase Kahlil Gibran's poem "Sand and Foam".
I didn't know (or remember) that my favorite line from The Beatles' "Julia" was based on Kahlil Gibran's poem "Sand and Foam" (Sand and Foam by Kahlil Gibran). Thank you for telling me, Liz. Making references to other artistic expressions is one way that short songs can expand beyond their enclosures and take on greater significance and meaning...and I would have completely missed the way "Julia" does this if not for you.

"Sand and Foam" is a fascinating amalgamation of insights into self-expression and connection with others. Now I understand why Lennon sings, "Half of what I say is meaningless, but I say it just to reach you": he is trying to express what is most real about himself.

From the poem:
"The reality of the other person is not in what he reveals to you, but in what he cannot reveal to you.
Therefore, if you would understand him, listen not to what he says but rather to what he does not say.
Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you."

Gibran's "Sand and Foam" poem had many other lines that resonate with me, such as these:

"There is a space between man's imagination and man's attainment that may only be traversed by his longing."
"You are blind and I am deaf and dumb, so let us touch hands and understand."
"Should you really open your eyes and see, you would behold your image in all images.
And should you open your ears and listen, you would hear your own voice in all voices."

About twisty-tie rings. You're welcome. Of course you deserve a twisty-tie (or any other type of) ring. If you don't think you want a ring, maybe you'd like a twisty-tie sculpture! An internet search showed me today that I wasn't the first to think of making sculptures from twist ties. Check these out, Liz:

Primitive twist tie animals
Charmingly small but complete, like beloved short songs are:

Twist tie bird (also incorporating cardboard) by James Grashow
This sculpture reminds me of how short songs turn something that is minimalistic (a limited number of notes aka twist ties, a limited amount of space, aka minutes) into a thing of exquisite beauty.

Yesterday I found out that one of my *favorite songs of all time* almost qualifies as a short song (3:01), and so I will include it. This song reminds me of a beautiful twist tie bird:

John Lennon - "Imagine"
I adore this song for its lovely sound and sentiment

John Lennon, imagine - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-03-2012 at 02:23 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote