Music Banter - View Single Post - Canibus
Thread: Canibus
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

I used to listen to him a long time ago, but eventually got bored and deleted all of his stuff because I got kind of sick of the fact he actually can't string together what he wants to say coherently.

He can put words together that sound decent, but ultimately, most of his stuff is about how smart he is and throwing in random sci-fi references or technobabble to try and back it up, and that isn't really what he ends up achieving. Compare what he's doing to someone like Deltron, who is a technically inferior rapper, but can take a theme and run with it as a concept that grows organically, and extends outwards, and in comparison, what Canibus does seems to be more akin to running in place.

Not to mention, the fact he's so desperate to use "intelligent" sounding phrases in his raps means you get a lot of **** like this, which flows but just makes no sense:

"Yo, Houston to Earth
Watch the ripper crucify you with verse
My urethra to ya uvula, quenches your thirst
Put your flames out with dry desert dirt where leopards lurk
Lock your soul down with an esoteric weapon search"

Does he want to make a religious or a biology reference here? How is a leopard relevant to this? What is an "Esoteric" weapon search?

"Strap a bomb to one of your labels record clerks
And activate it as soon as they get to work
Ring the alarm, red alert, nigga it gets worse
Bypass security networks with select words
Megahertz make nebulas reverse till your head burst"

OK, a cryptic reference to passwords I can live with, but that stuff about nebulas is just completely nonsensical. They have nothing to do with megahertz, reversing one wouldn't do ANYTHING for millions if not billions of years even if it did happen, and wouldn't affect anyone on earth, and certainly wouldn't make their head burst.

Now admittedly, thats taking things too literally and it doesn't matter too much, but this happens CONSTANTLY in Canibus' music and it ends up just making him look stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 09-03-2012 at 01:41 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote