Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #1362 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

^ When I first heard songs by The Outfield, their simple love themes and rich vocal harmonies made me think for years that the band was from California, like a modern-day Beach Boys. Boy was I surprised when I first looked them up online several years ago and learned that they are British! I had had no idea. (I actually think they really *are* Californian and just got born by accident over there .)

I am struck most by the clarity of Tony Lewis' voice. So clear and even with absolutely no vibrato, his voice is like that of an English choir boy all grown up.

The main negative about the group, I feel, is that their songs' themes and lyrics are often simple and can sound somewhat generic because, well, they *are* often simply songs about love.

I read on Wikipedia today that The Outfield "took an extended hiatus during the mid-1990s as changing musical fashions, especially the popularity of edgier bands such as Nirvana and Pearl Jam, made life difficult for older bands with a less fashionable aesthetic." This reminded me of one attribute of The Outfield that might reduce their appeal: they *aren't* edgy. I can't think of a single Outfield song, for example, that has aggression in it. Their songs aren't quite on the level of easy listening music, but sometimes, I'm afraid, they are close.

Yet this negative is also part of their allure for me: their straight-forward songs about love have a pure, sweet sound.

I feel their lyrics can be overly bland yet sometimes are saved by stanzas that make them vivid, unique, and personal. In fact, this band has created two of my favorite song moments by matching sound with words in a way that causes me to feel as if I'm living life through their eyes and experiences. I like when a song transports me even briefly into someone else's frame of reference:

The Outfield - "The Night Ain't Over"

My favorite lines and song moment: "It's five in the morning. I can feel the beads of sweat running down the back of my neck. It's so good to be with you again, woh." I also love the wash of sound at the beginning of this song:

The Outfield - The Night Ain't Over - YouTube

The Outfield - "Say It Isn't So"

I love the poetry of "midnight sun" used to describe the feeling of city nightlife and the way it is made more vibrant by the music: "It's lonely on the streets when it's just one a.m. See a lot of pretty girls passing by. I'm walking in the midnight sun once again."

The Outfield Say It Isn't So- YouTube

I've spot-listened to some of their more recent songs and while all are solid, none have gripped me like those earlier ones. Yet I have a lasting affection for The Outfield due to "Your Love," "The Night Ain't Over," "Say It Isn't So," and a few other songs by them.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-03-2012 at 02:37 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote