Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #1373 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
i thought the Backstreet Boys had the songs to justify the hype

Max Martin wrote for them - he's great
Depends on what you're looking for. As you'll see from part two of my "Stranger in a strange land" series in my journal, I thought their first two albums were terrible, kind of warmed to the last two. When they broke away from the samey "we're so tough/sleep with us" pop sound and tried to develop their own, they began to write some decent music. Admittedly, I didn't listen to all their catalogue (not THAT much of a masochist!), so the ones I did review, in case you didn't/don't want to read the feature, were the debut, then "Backstreet's back" (which was, it seems, their actual debut in the US...) then "Millennium", which I found a big improvement and finally "Unbreakable", which I almost liked.

Perhaps telling that the album I, well, liked most is too strong a term, let's say hated least, had no writing from Martin at all, though he did write or co-write many of their bigger hits. Of the boybands I've reviewed so far, the ones to impress me most have been, surprisingly, Take That, especially with their last two albums. Weird, huh?