Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #4385 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
No, it was their job to fix the problem. The very next story has them talking explicitly about how it is their job to FIX problems with new robots, and if they fail even once, they will get fired.
*shrug* I think you're nitpicking a little bit, but I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. From my perspective, I understand entirely why he chose to write it the way he did, because he explains the cause of the odd behaviour and moves on, as does pretty much every single story in the book. The point of the short stories is not meant to be a thesis of justification by scientific method; that would get rather boring to read, given the amount of statistical analysis that would be involved in such a "proof". He is using each instance as a method of exploring the laws and how they interact with each other, not trying to prove exactly what outcome would occur in each situation...

At least, that's the way I see it. Science by storytelling is, in my book, allowed a bit of poetic license :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post

The Colour of Magic

I finished Mort on the bus this morning so I will start reading this tonight. It's been a very long time since I read this so I'm pretty excited.
I found I didn't enjoy the Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic Story as much as I did most of the others. While Rincewind grows into a fantastic character, I found him pretty intensely annoying in those two. I think part of it is that he's so busy introducing so many different aspects of the universe that some part of the character progression and insight which makes the other books so great gets lost in the process. That isn't to say that they aren't extremely important books in the series for exactly the same reason: the sheer amount of groundwork he lays in two books as opposed to the rest of the series is ridiculous... I just never enjoyed them as much as the others :P

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote