Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst/most comical/most embarrassing metal band
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #88 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLPOCALYPSE View Post
Roots -> Soulfly, I get this.

Chaos AD introduced some new influences, but was still the Sepultura that people knew at the time. Roots was a very abrupt change. It would be like if In Flames took Reroute to Remain out of their discography: Clayman hints at a new direction without actually taking it, then Soundtrack to Your Escape is a full swing in another direction.
I know next to nothing about In Flames so I really can't speak to that comparison. But what I can tell you as a person who remembers these Sepultura albums when they were new is that, at the time, Roots was simply viewed as the band expanding upon what they had done on Chaos AD. I can't remember anyone I knew who listened to them back then having an "oh my god, this is like a completely different band" reaction to Roots at the time. You have to understand that nobody was connecting Roots to nu-metal back then. I'm not even sure the term "nu-metal" even existed yet. It was all about how Sepultura were continuing to add more of an overtly Brazilian influence to their music—that's what people were talking about.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote