Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #1421 (permalink)
Circe
Blunt After Blunt After

Right now I've been very slowly slogging through The Sopranos and True Blood, with plans to get to Breaking Bad when I finish one of them. I may give up on True Blood though, as while I enjoy it I'm having a lot of trouble truly engaging in it. The Sopranos isn't exactly Homicide: Life On The Streets, but it's gritty and tense enough to have you gripped by the bollocks all the way through, and it plays with the way you feel towards the characters in very clever ways. Basically, it knows it's got a good format to challenge your perceptions and pull you in, and it pulls it off well. To me True Blood's just been a well-written, well-produced and mostly enjoyable vampire show with some underlying commentary on discrimination in the deep south, not anything with anywhere near as much impact and power as The Sopranos. From what I understand it starts to go downhill after the first couple of seasons as well, so it might not be worth sitting through. I've not heard a single bad word about Breaking Bad from anyone and I'm determined to see it all before I get it spoiled for me, so it's best to start as soon as I can.

Oh, and in contrast to that sluggish viewing, I recently got addicted to season 2 of Game Of Thrones and managed to power through it in less than a week. Here I'll sound like a hypocrite, because despite me saying I rate True Blood lower for not being that clever, I may have enjoyed Game Of Thrones more than any other show I've ever seen. It's like someone discovered a way to convert crack into sound and images and broadcast it through HBO, seriously. Most people who've watched it will know what I'm on about.
Circe is offline   Reply With Quote