Music Banter - View Single Post - How do I teach music theory to someone with no understanding of music?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah I agree. Although I'm sure it wasn't meant that way, your statement that everyone should know tones/pitches by ear unless they're tone deaf is very insulting, and would without doubt push me away from you as a teacher if this is your attitude to a beginner. I have been trying (extremely unsuccessfully) to learn piano/keys for years. I'm not tone deaf, but neither could I even understand the progression you seem to regard as child's play. To be honest, you'll find that people who can distinguish pitch by ear are few and far between, and I must say your condescending attitude towards this girl (probably unintentional, I'll grant you) makes me wonder why anyone would want you as a teacher, or indeed, if the rest of us mere mortals are so beneath you in musical terms, why you would want to teach. You come across as snobbish and elitist, and I would wonder how your lessons with the girl go? Lots of snapped sticks and broken china?

Seriously, no offence but try looking at it from her view --- which is the view of a much larger percentage of the world that you obviously realise --- and make it fun and easy to learn. I hate to say it, but come down to her level: don't try to make her another you.

Or alternatively, give up as no-one is ever likely to measure up to your lofty expectations.

Hope it works out for you both, but you've got to realise as Howard says that not everyone perceives music like you, and that those who do not are not to be looked down upon --- calling people tone deaf is probably the worst insult you could level at an aspiring musician.