Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #1482 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrahilAdrian View Post
Well mate, if you direct me to a metal song with a bona fide melody I'll duly listen to it. I doubt you will, since metal is diametrically opposed to melody, instead employing power chords, masturbatory solos, and general loudness to woo its suggestible audience. A metal song with melody probably wouldn't even qualify as metal. Even if it did, the melody would be lost beneath all that hideous distortion. Basically, metal is musical cancer, and if you like it, there's something wrong with you. Of course, metal fans likely take that as a compliment, since, as I said, they judge their music very differently from how normal people do; abrasion and general unlistenable-ness are signs that the music is "intense". A metal song with melody and tune would betray the fundamental tenents of metal.
This has to qualify for the prize for THE most uninformed, hostile and outright rude comment ever posted here. As it happens...

and these are only three that sprang to mind. Give me the time, and was I bothered to, I could fill a page with videos from various metal bands that all display distinct melody. Of course, you'll probably just ignore this, declaring that none of these songs have any melody, but then if so that just proves that your argument is empty and can't be supported.

Why in God's name would you even think of advancing a theory/opinion that having melody in a genre would betray its tenets (it's tenets, by the way, not tenents: that's a beer, but you need an extra "n"!), and anyway, what do you see AS those tenets??

You DO realise don't you that there are many sub-genres of metal that you're lumping together in a quite unforgivable, stereotypical, across-the-board way and dismissing out of hand? Not to mention blues, which is one of the basic fundamentals on which metal is based, and out of which it grew, as well as hard rock and various other genres and sub-genres?

Oh, and don't even get me started on prog rock!