Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Album Pick of the Year
07. High Tide Sea Shanties 1969
(Liberty)
Acid Rock-Hard Rock

This is one heavy pounding mother!

Overview
A lot of people seem to think that metal and prog came together in the 1980s, it largely did to a degree as it got its official label around this time and prog metal was born. But long before that, bands were forging proto-metal and prog together to startling effect and long forgotten British band High Tide were one such band. Their debut album Sea Shanties remains the perfect example of this, where they released a stunning example of these two styles, which were blended in with their root psychedelic sound. Like any great album of the time, it got a scathing review from the British music press, who seemed to have it in for any band that played too heavy. Talking of heavy, this album was damn heavy at times and also totally unpredictable in its musical flow and direction. The guitar work of main man Tony Hill was blistering at times with his impressive grinding riffage, along with his doomy sounding Jim Morrison vocal delivery. Equally impressive was Simon House who didn't play the guitar, bass, drums or solely the organ, BUT also played the violin in the band to a startling degree and never did the violin sound so great again until the future days of Kansas in the mid-1970s.

Tony Hill- Guitar/Vocals
Pete Pavli- Bass
Simon House- Violin/Organ
Roger Hadden- Drums

Production- Denny Gerrard

Album
Futilist's Lament- This is pounding and heavy and a foretaster of the soon to come Black Sabbath sound and is this Jim Morrison singing here? The answer is no of course, but it sure as hell sounds like him. Death Warmed Up- A 9 minute scorching instrumental highlighted by both House and Hill. Pushed, But Not Fogotten- A great early example of soft-hard dynamics all in one song. Walking Down Their Outlook- A song full of multi-part arrangements and complex playing, that shares ground with the debut King Crimson album that was also released in 1969. Missing Out- Another 9 minutes of interplay between Hill and House but this time with singing included. Nowhere- The closing track on the album and another slice of Morrison sounding vocals here. The 2006 remastered version of the album has two great additions, in the shape of the 11 minute King Crimson or Yes sounding Great Universal Protection Racket but of course High Tide played much heavier and Dilemma another great addition for the remaster.

Verdict
One of the best kept secrets around as the album largely went unnoticed, despite just achieving enough sales for the record label to give the band a second album. It's one of these albums that a whole load of future bands seem to have dug out and been influenced by. Hawkwind were big fans of this album (so I've read) In terms of heaviness, this album along with the first two Led Zeppelin albums, were probably the three heaviest releases of the year. The band would never quite attempt to do anything quite as heavy again sadly and opted out to move in a more straight-up proggy direction, and in essence they became a far less interesting proposition, as their second album the eponymous High Tide and future albums would suggest. Even though I've positioned this album in seventh spot, I would say its probably the most interesting listen of the ten albums that I've selected here. As a footnote, any modern metal connoisseur would be sure to pick up on some of the early doom and stoner metal sounds that can be heard on here. A highly recommended bit of work.

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 11-01-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote