Music Banter - View Single Post - please bring back 8-track and cassette players into production
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I don't completely hate tape labels and a number of local bands use them and issue some of their releases on cassette. It can be pretty cool, as you don't usually find this anymore. I also still have a tape deck on my stereo and so its nice to occasionally get some use out of it.

However, that being said, I don't share the same desire to see cassette players come back into production. If you really want one it is still possible to get one and despite what I have just said about tape labels...you really think I'm gonna choose cassette over LP or CD should I be given the option?

Cassettes are outdated, weak, have a shorter lifespan compared to other formats should you actually take care of your CDs and LPs and given that its easier to rewind and fast forward even on vinyl, I cant see much of a practical argument for tapes going forward. What I would miss, if the facility was to be taken from me completely is the ability to use tapes to make mixes for people. This is, in my opinion, by far the best and most personal way to make a mixtape. That is one big advantage of a tape, but I struggle to find any others.

I say let cassettes rot on the scrap heap of null, void, out dated and unnecessary audio formats alongside the gramophone, Betamax, Laser Disc and MiniDisc.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote