Music Banter - View Single Post - please bring back 8-track and cassette players into production
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Absolutely. I made a mix very recently. Nothing special, just odd tracks from a bands albums filed into a specific order. I made it on Spotify and even though it was easy, quick and got the job done its just not the same as when I used to use cassettes.

Making a mix with a cassette was something very special and personal. For example I once made one for a girl, for her 18th birthday. I chose one track released in each year of her life, in chronological order, and also managed to make the mix play with some degree of fluidity from track to track. For various reasons I was never able to give it to her, but it took a long, long time to select tracks and make it and to get it right. When you put effort into the track selection, order and the fact that you have to play each one while simultaneously recording it, stopping the tape at just the right moment and leaving small gaps in between each song, it is blatantly obvious to the recipient that you have invested a lot of time and effort and put a lot of thought into it to personalise it to the individual.

Making a playlist is so much easier but it just lacks a real connection and seems so much more impersonal.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote