Music Banter - View Single Post - Leaving for College!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There just isn't time. We're expected to read a textbook chapter every week (3/5 have multiple texts from which to read chapters), which takes about 3 or 4 hours per book, then I need to do the notes on it, then answer the text questions, and on top of that there's a heap of internet-work they want us to do and the odd assignment.

I'm quickly becoming very bitter about my education, because so far it seems I'm paying thousands of dollars to learn everything on my own time; the lectures have provided me nothing in terms of knowledge that I didn't learn at home sitting with the text.
Here is where you're going wrong. Don't read everything they tell you. First, figure out what you don't need to read (you'll have to sit through the lectures anyway, right?) and ignore that. What you do need to read, just skim. Perfect the art of reading beginnings and endings of paragraphs, or even beginnings and endings of entire chapters. Learn to rely on indexes to find important information. Bam.. You have just cut out 9-12 hours of work per week.

This is unfortunately how higher education works. Also, unless you plan to do graduate or post-grad school, then don't even worry about your grades. Just get the degree move on to a better job. Or quit school and do menial work forever (which is not necessarily a bad choice, it's your preference).

PS - You definitely are paying to learn on your own time. And it will only get worse, but easier. If you enjoy learning, I suggest you stay with it. If you're bored then quit.