Music Banter - View Single Post - Unsung Heroes
Thread: Unsung Heroes
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zanzinger View Post
Every great band has an unsung hero.
Witness George Harrison in the Beatles (Not recognised until very late in their collective career)
Charlie Watts in the Stones (Ditto)
John Paul Jones In Led Zep (Possibly to this day)
Ronnie Lane in The Faces/Small Faces.
In fact , in the case of the late great Ronnie, I`d go so far as to point out that he wrote "Itchycoo Park" single handedly, was involved in the writing of "All or Nothing" and "Tin Soldier" for the Smalls and was involved with the writing of the Faces best tracks (Witness "Ohh La La ".Reportedly, Rod Stewart refused to sing it, so it was left to The Ronnies, Wood and Lane to get it on vinyl.)
Was a very decent bass player and pour moi (like George and Bonham) is sadly missed.
I love Charlie Watts. I think he express a sense of humour in his drumming - definitely during the experimental part of the Brian Jones years.

Tony Banks of Genesis. Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel had a good run in the 80s becoming house hold names. I always thought Tony Banks was the musical generator of Genesis. He always came up with a decent melody on keyboard.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote