Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Female Vocalist?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #189 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
But this thread is about VOCALISTS. The thread is not asking who is the best female ARTIST .......Since this is the pop section I am assuming this thread is talking about POP stars and no other POP female singer had a voice like Whitney. She made all those covers and songs her own and her singing style has been very influential.
Sorry, Dolly Parton wrote "I Will Always Love You," it came from her mind and it will always be her song.

A lot of female singer have very good voices, not only Whitney. You think she is the all time best, I don't see the point arguing that. (I think Karen Carpenter had a more of an aesthetic sound to her voice and she seem to conveyed more real emotion.)
Whitney may have been influential, but was it for better or worse? Ever since she became popular it became more about style over substance. After she set the bench and since every other singer wanted out do the next - hit the highest note or bend a note up and down the scale to the point of ad nauseum. Just because a singer has the pipes doesn't make the song any much better.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote