Music Banter - View Single Post - Children's Music When Children
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
I didn't like children's music when I was a kid. Silly stuff, embarrasing to hear people singing in person. I still feel that way. Although the Duck Tales theme song is okay (and isn't pure children's music).
I'm not sure you're quite getting the whole idea of children's music. It's supposed to be silly, nonsense, fun. Sure, some of it is to teach you things like ABC or be nice to each other --- nothing wrong with that --- but other than that generally I see children's music as fulfilling one of three roles: it can be a way for kids to interact, dance, clap together etc; it can be a way for a parent and child to strengthen their bond, whether through singing "I love you" style songs or lullabies; it can be in the form of a nursery rhyme, to either make learning fun or push across a very subtle subtext that will only become apparent later as the child grows up, but which they will remember from their early enjoyment of the song.

No-one is ever going to award Grammys to kids' songs, no-one is expected to critique them ---- this lyric is generic/the playing is very basic/the rhythm, chord structure or melody does nothing new --- it's not the actual makeup of the music that matter, them musicianship or vocal talent, but the fact that kids enjoy it. That's really all that matters. Some of them of course are quite clever, but let's be honest: you're not going to get a complicated time signature change or a three-minute guitar solo in a childen's song. They're not supposed to be taken as "serious" songs, just fun to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I love Barney, Erica! Both of my children were reared on Barney and I used to sing them to sleep with that song nearly every night. And how about the "Please and Thank You" song? Can't even count how many times we sang that one.

GAAAHH! BARNEY! Must. wash. eyes!
Sorry, I always hated that purple little, eh, dinosaur! Once in town there was a guy dressed up in a Barney suit and for a few seconds I seriously thought of giving him a kick up the arse. I'm not proud of the thought, but it can't be un-thought....

Quote:

I agree. And I hope you both managed to smile today, Trollheart.
We manage to smile most days, thanks: there's always something we can laugh or smile at. Luckily we share a common (often warped) sense of humour, and we've watched the same series (Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Bottom, Fawlty Towers etc) so we know when we're quoting from that and how to respond, eg "Mister Flibble is very cross!" She says I make her laugh, and it relaxes her, especially at, um, embarrassing moments. I always like to use a bit of humour, helps cover up any feelings of shame or unease.
Quote:
I'm going to plead the fifth on this one -- all I can say is that Kermit totally RULES! I love his little floppy froglegs!!
Kermit for president!!