Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs and artists you think should be learned in school
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnels View Post
I think a comprehensive education of the history of western music should be required. It's a part of our culture that needs to be preserved, in my opinion. What they like, of course, has little to do with the actual education.
As far as pop bands go, most people seem to be fine discovering what they like on their own terms. However, I do think that jazz history should be taught in America considering it's our most unique art form. I don't know what would be native equivalents in other countries, but they of course should be taught as well.
(damn that sentence sucked)
I recall lessons in American History regarding the beginnings of jazz in the Harlem movement, and that it was regarded as the most American form of music. Beyond that, there wasn't much.

I think that there should be some music history classes taught in schools as an option, I would have loved taking one of those instead of world history where I was taught that World War I happened, then a few years later, World War II happened, and that was pretty much the whole curriculum .

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote