Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog-Rock
Thread: Prog-Rock
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 07:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Some of the earlier stuff was ok, I don`t mind some early King Cimson or Van Der Graaf Generator but when bands like Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer & Yes came along it just turned into pretentious self indulgent twaddle.
I disagree there, Yes and Genesis were great, i really dont get why people bash prog so much, because its pretentious?, they say that like its such a bad thing, rock n roll has been pretentious from the very start, hell The Beatles, David Bowie, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix and The Velvet Underground were all pretentious...Prog was just another way for rock to be pretentious, it was basicly rock that put more emphasis on making music as an artform rather than a sorce of entertainment, pretty much in the tradition of classical music, i dont see why this is a bad thing, the reasons people give for attacking prog seem silly to me, the music is too long, its too weird, the lyrics are too obscure, the music is too technical and they don't write with passion(whatever the hell that means), so what does that make classical music and jazz?, are those genres just pretentious crap as well?, some people even say its unimaginative and that is just flatout wrong, prog is one of the most imaginitive forms of rock music, to me the only valid explanation for people to hate prog so much is because they either lack the capability to understand it or they are just too close minded to appreciate other forms of music that they are not used to, who wrote the book on music and said that songs always have to be less than 2 minutes long, with miminal instrumental talent, lyrics that take about 10 seconds to write and the same generic pop sound as other songs?, it makes no sense to me, i never understood why the punk movement was so hateful to almost every other style of music that was different from their own, its like they had short attention spans or they were bitter for being so incapable and talentless on their instruments...Oh look at me, i sound like a bitter old man longing for the good old days, i still love punk, and im not generalizing punk music, im just refering to how punk music purists generalize prog, i just wont understand it, ever...To me prog is one of the most diverse and original rock subgenres, if you don't like prog its ok, but to bash a whole genre because you dont like it, that i dont understand, i really hate it when people discriminate against bands because of their genre or their label, thats what people do with punk bands, they get bashed quite a lot from metal fans and prog fans alike, yet punk fans tend to do the same when it comes to prog bands, why can't more people appreciate every genre for what its worth?, i like prog and punk, why does that have to be so rare?

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote