Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog-Rock
Thread: Prog-Rock
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 08:30 AM   #32 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I strongly disagree with this, a lot of people have learned from prog, prog still has a strong influence today, listen to bands like Tool, Mars Volta, Radiohead, Mathew Good Band, SOAD, Muse or Sigur Rose and tell me they didn't learn a few tricks from 70s prog...Even alternative rock bands like The Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth used elements of progressive rock on some of their albums, prog is just a genre that dosent appeal to everyone because of its complexity and weirdness, but if people took the time to appreciate it they could certainly learn from it.

And what Yes have you heard?, some of their works are basicly more acessible than others.
How many of those do you think really took their ideas from the original prog and how many are just playing rock with extended chord sequences, different sections and some special effect, coming from their own minds rather than via some historical lineage which you're tracing back to the 70's? If you know a load of different chords, know how they fit together and have some ideas for them do you really have to have listened to a load of Genesis etc. to start playing your music? I don't think you do.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote