Music Banter - View Single Post - Cheap Trick
Thread: Cheap Trick
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
I got Essential 3.0, and the first disc is perfect. It's all 70s Cheap Trick, and without doubt is the best single disc comp of the band out there. The second disk gets into the 80s and it just suffers in comparison. The edge in Rick Nielson songwriting isn't there anymore. The bonus third disk suffers in the same way. The first half consisting of 70s material is great, then it becomes generic. I don't know if they got bad advise or the flame, so to speak, went out. Anyway, the first disk of this is highly recommendable, and if your a fan, it's kind of nice to have both eras separated like this. It invites analysis into what happened to this great band.

I checked the track listing on there and the first two discs run in chrono order. As you say the first disk is perfect BUT the first several songs on disk two are also great, as it has the rest of the songs from Dream Police and All Shook Up album, two classic albums. Their career took a total nose-dive with the Next Position Please album, an absolute pile of rubbish. From there they gradually lost control of things even though I liked the next two albums. By the time of "The Flame" the record label enforced outside songwriters on them. 1994's I Woke Up With a Monster was something of a return to form. Disk three on that collection is superb as well.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote