Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Prog album of 2012 so far?
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgSphere View Post
Neal Morse, Marillion, Beardfish, The Flower Kings, Rush... They all delivered pretty good albums.
Yes, well done! Can't believe I forgot to mention Rush's new album!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Forgot a few: Haken, Alias Eye, Gazpacho, It Bites, Mostly Autumn, RPWL. Also, does anyone know if Fish is planning a new one? Seems like years since "Thirteenth star". Oh wait: it is!

BTW @ Mrd00d, you'll be glad to know I have a Buckethead (not literally, of course) in my stack for listening/review. His new one, something about an electric sea, I think? I'll let you know what I think --- well, I'll probably let everyone know, by reviewing it...
Looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
2012 seems to be a particularly strong year for crossover prog rock methinks: It Bites, Big Big Train and Squackett have delivered some truly infectious records that supersede what you expect and all sound miraculous from a production standpoint too.

Lot of good progressive metal has some out this year too, with particular nods to Suspyre's self-titled, Threshold's March Of Progress and Ne Obliviscaris's Portal Of I. Each sounds completely different, but they stand out vividly in a genre that most people will agree is a tad overcrowded and samey.

And on a final note, who can forget the psychedelic, swirling folkish side of the progressive rock spectrum....

Aha! You are right! Both excellent albums, although I enjoyed Astra's The Weirding more... I am happy to have more from them as always.

Still need to get Storm Corrosion but I've heard most of not all of it.

Wo Fat - The Black Code
Sigh - In Somniphobia
Buckethead - The Shores of Molokai
Sula Bassana - Dark Days
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Pinata

Well, they all have prog elements. They're all prog related.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote