Music Banter - View Single Post - Why Are We Believers? Test Yourself! [Read First Post]
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Paedantic Basterd
Music Addict

I'm not sure that it can be said you are superstitious with confidence. There are many other factors, such as confronting your deepest fears, as you said. I also feel uncomfortable thinking about getting cancer or being mugged, but I don't believe that writing or thinking it has any influence over whether or not it will happen--that is not what is uncomfortable, it is the notion of it.

As for the preference of tearing to burning, I simply don't think it wise to start a fire in my apartment.

EDIT: I also think that the method of presenting the test generates the unpleasant feeling; you are surprised by the second instruction. It catches you off guard, without preparation. Given a few minutes to read the whole set of instructions would feel very different, and as it is the process that is supposed to be the test, I think it's rendered invalid if the process can be repeated under different conditions with varied results.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote