Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #221 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
An excellent review of Magical Mystery Tour by Janszoon, full of perceptive comments, almost all of which I agree with. His comment on Blue Jay Way is perfect; "never quite rises above it`s own murk" And yes, Flying is disappointing, especially as it`s the only officially-released Beatles instrumental. It was a chance for them to show what they could do in this format, and this song seems to give the answer; "They`d probably sound really mediocre."

Yes, the expanded American release is much better, because of the quality of those added-on singles. Luckily, the contentious issues of key, and Harrison`s playing on Strawberry Fields go right over my head. For me this is a fabulous, ground-breaking song which is much more than just the sum of its parts - which is why I wasn`t much taken with the Cadillac`s cover version.
Although Janszoon doesn`t seem to agree, I think I Am The Walrus is also a stand-out classic. Maybe looking back from today, it`s difficult to recall the delicious sense of outrage that this song generated when it was released. Another ground-breaker by The Beatles in their creative prime, I remember people at the time asking each other with disbelief, "WHAT is he singing ? How can he say that ! It doesn`t make sense.". Some people laughed, one impressionable teenager who prefers to remain nameless thought it was the most incredible song ever recorded.
Heh. It's always interesting to hear the perspective of someone who was there, so to speak, since it's before my time and my own parents were just slightly too old to be into the Beatles' later albums. What was it that people found so outrageous about "I Am the Walrus"? Just the wacky lyrics?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote