Music Banter - View Single Post - What age did you really find out that you loved music?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

My parents were not into my love of music, in fact they hardly listened to any, but they actually helped me in my of music in many strange ways that caused me to listen to music even more.

With getting The Beatles/White Album as a X-mas gift as a kid (at 7), they were possibly thinking that they were getting two albums of "yeah yeah yeah" when instead they gave me one of the most interesting albums ever. My Sister hated "Revolution 9" (smiles a VERY Satanic smile!), causing me to play it even more. I also loved "Helter Skelter" quite a bit.

Some time before that, they got me a collection of singles bought as a set of 50 from Montgomery Ward (US Chain store, now defunct I think). This ranged from classic under-rated Soul with singles from the Cadet (Etta James' cover of "Security" stands out), Philly Groove (related to Bell, which was about to turn into Arista in The US at that time), and Invictus labels, classics like the Who's "Magic Bus," other records like The Box Tops' "Turn on a Dream" and even very bad recordings like Danny Bonaduche's "Blueberry You." I was educated in the good, the bad, and the outright ugly in a 50 7" disc shot! Apparently, they got a whole bunch of cut-outs (with drilled holes in the label area), many of them really cool to listen to - kind of like being the only one in town with some hard to find treasure.

Oh yeah, possibly my first albums bought at Garage Sales at friend of my Mother included Rubber Soul, the Four Tops' Greatest Hits, and The Beates' collection released in The US, Hey Jude/The Beatles Again.

They did not really know how much of a music fiend I was going to turn out to be, but with examples like these, why should I not? Ages 7-8 may not have been a totally great time, but Music was something that kept me going anyways.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote