Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #12278 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I've seen quite a few movies since my last post.

Perfect Blue

This is an anime thriller. The protagonist is a pop star, but changes career to become an actor in a popular television series. As a new actor, she is asked to do more and more depraved things, something she forces herself to do in order not to disappoint those who helped her in her career. While she is developing a sort of identity crisis, a murderous stalker starts hunting down people close to her and eventually the star herself.

Perfect Blue is very much a psychological thriller. It's the sort of movie where you wonder if what happens is really happening or if it's all in the mind of the protagonist. It was an enjoyable watch and often lovely to look at, but I did think that it went a little too far in its mind****ery. The problem of figuring out what's real or not gets too difficult to figure out eventually and you feel like you just have to basically wait it out and see what happens. I find I get a little disconnected with the film when that happens.

Still, it was a good film and people who really like to be kept guessing might like it even more. 7/10!

The Hunger Games

This was obviously a movie aimed at a younger audience than me. The story, the premise and how people act in this film feels slightly naive and often quite fake. Would people really make these choices under these circumstances? I think not. Either way, although the movie also felt a little long-winded, there was plenty of excitement and Jennifer Lawrence was a joy to watch, although I preferred her excellent performance in Winter's Bone.

I'm sure I would've liked it more had I been 10-15 years younger, but it was alright. I guess I'd give it something like a 6.5 out of 10.