Music Banter - View Single Post - a-ha: any fans?
Thread: a-ha: any fans?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Vegangelica (I used to think your name was VENGangelica --- pictured some sort of avenging angel!) if you want to read more about a-ha and hear some of their best music you should check out the profile I did on them last year in my journal http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...ml#post1128140 ---pretty in-depth, and worth a read, if I say so myself!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think what US means is that "Take on me", despite the fact that it's a great pop song, is sort of more towards the lower end of what they went on to achieve musically, but like many bands they got pigeonholed as being "that band who wrote that song", and people probably consider them one or two-hit wonders, despite the fact that some of their other songs did well. As he says, they did move away from pop later and into a gritter, more dark area, swapping pop for rock, and the fact that most people's image of a-ha is that one song restricts them in many people's minds. It's a phenomenon I like to call "The Albatross syndrome", and which I'll be exploring in depth soon in my journal (plug, plug!)

As for faster, heavier songs, try these:
Thank you, Trollheart, for the music suggestions, the description of A-ha's reputation as only a pop group even though they evolved into more, and the information that you cover A-ha's music (and soon the "Albatross syndrome") in your journal. I'll look!

(VENGangelica...an avenging angel! I like it. I'd noticed your unique spelling in the past and appreciated your attempt to spell my "name," even if you used an extra letter. "Just don't call me late for dinner!" )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Hole in one and spot on. When the average Joe here thinks of a-ha he usually thinks of "Take on Me" "Cry Wolf" and "Touchy" which were poppy singles aimed at people buying commercial pop, especially teenage girls. He won't realize that the band had a very different side to them as well.
Heh heh...since I was a teenage girl when I first heard and liked "Take on Me" and I didn't realize that the band had a very different side to them, I'd say you have described me well: the average Joe(anne?).
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote