Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst Late 70's Band
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
These are all pretty good arena rock bands. When I'm in the mood, you can't top a Foreigner Comp., Infinity, Boston's S/T, Carry On Wayward Son. Not that these band didn't get sappy, but they were good at what they did.

Notice how I left Styx off, mainly because I don't like Dennis DeYoung's overly dramatic high-school theatrical delivery, but because of you, I finally gave in at the $4.99 copy of Grand Illusion constantly staring at me at the super market, and you know it's pretty good. Mainly because they wisely split vocal duties through out the album. So Styx doesn't suck either.

This thread should be retitled "who's your least favorite Stadium Rock band".
This is my take also. I think Journey writes some great music and Steve Perry had that range that was untouchable vocally. Schon is a very underrated guitarist also, he doesn't wank off much but he has great tone and his leads while simple are always tasteful for the song.

I had the Foreigner argument the other day and I started naming off songs and people were amazed how huge their discography was and how many great songs were written by Foreigner.

Boston really only touched me with a few songs but More then a feeling and Peace of Mind are epic 70's stadium rock.

With regards to Kansas I think I agree with Howard Wayward son and Dust are about it for what I can listen to and only after a few beers at a bbq or party.

Styx was never my thing. They certainly had talent but it isn;t my kind of talent I prefer to listen to. Mr Roboto? ****ing horrible. I think I like Best of Times and a few off that album, but I could never get past their over use of dynamics. So yeah Styx is definitely worst on this list by a longshot.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote